Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Tiger Lily Tiger Lily is offline

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

On 1/9/2012 2:02 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> There is a movement to reform the breeding of GSDs, toward the
> "old style" dogs with straight backs, higher set tails[0] and healthy hips.
> I hope they make it. It's vital to influence the dog show judges and the
> judging standard, so that traits detrimental to the dog are not rewarded in
> the show ring.
>
> A fellow cat breeder asked a breeder of Persian cats why they bred such
> monsters (at one point some cats had trouble eating and breathing, they
> still have problems with tear ducts) and the answer was "Because the judges
> want them that way".
>
> Change the breed standard and beat up on the judges, the rest of the
> breeders will follow.

you got it Bjorn!

i loved the Alsatian GSD from the 50's

it hurts to look at today's standard

the breed clubs get together nationally and then go to the kennel clubs
with the standard they want to have approved

this is why you may find a 'standard' in one country isn't the same in
another country

of course, when everyone wants to go to Westminster or Crufts or......
there has to be some breed consistency between countries

i left a breed club because the 'President' had a move underfoot to
change the breed standard to.......... dogs that looked like hers!!! odd
how that happens........ i was told i should have stayed to be part of
the vocal opposition, but... i just didn't want to go there

too many politics!

kate