Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

"KROM" > wrote in message
> sorry ozgirl but "put it out of its misery" has always meant to kill
> it here and I've heard it used in UK movies in the euthanize context.
>
> put "what does put it out of its misery mean?" into a Google search
> bar and see the result.
>
> its very easy to take something a person says wrong..so lets be
> careful when taking a idiom wrong in others because we will eventually
> do it ourselves.
>
> KROM

In my country an ass is not a butt. Should I take Americans literally
when they say ass? I accept what Americans use in that context, can it
be possible that Americans can accept different word/phrase usages from
others? Especially when the context was there, i.e. followed by a list
of possible ways to relieve said misery. Instead of a call of Ozgirl
suggests I kill my cat! How about, Ozgirl, are you saying I should kill
my cat? Nope, kangaroo trial instead. Tolerance for differences at its
best, but yet... the phrase means more than just to kill even in
America. Not my problem if people in here haven't experienced it. Not my
problem that people refuse to check it into properly. Google: "define:
put out of misery".

"http://www.writersevents.com/Words_Starting_with_P/put_ones_foot_down_put_something_together/put_someone_or_something_out_of_their_misery_defin ition.html
Idiom: put someone or something out of their misery
To ****relieve them***** from their physical suffering or their mental
anguish.
To kill (an animal that is in great pain)." (American)

"http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/put-sb-out-of-their-misery
to stop someone worrying, usually by giving them information that they
have been waiting for" (British)

"http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/put+someone+out+of+his+or+her+misery
Kill a wounded or suffering animal or person, as in When a horse breaks
a leg, there is nothing to do but put it out of its misery . [Late
1700s]

End someone's feeling of suspense, as in Tell them who won the
tournament; put them out of their misery . [c. 1920] *******Both usages
employ put out of in the sense of "extricate" or "free from."********"
(American)

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+out+of+misery
Put (one) out of (one's) misery
1. Euph. Fig. to kill someone as an act of mercy. Why doesn't the doctor
simply put her out of her misery? He took pills to put himself out of
his misery.
2. Fig. to end a suspenseful situation for someone. Please, put me out
of misery; what happened? I put her out of her misery and told her how
the movie ended.
See also: misery, out, put
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of ****************American Idioms*************
and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Anyone still want to tell me the phase ONLY means to euthanise?