Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Good MSR and Sicilian wines, ok Bdx and BdM, dull Loire

Friday I thawed some roast capon, braised fennel in Vouvray, and opened the 1997 Reinfold Haart Piesporter Goldtropchen Riesling Kabinett. This is a lovely example of a aged Kabinett from what I believe is a fairly low acid vintage. Not at all flabby, it's got some verve, but the fruit profile is a lovely blend of ripe peaches, cherry, and some tropical notes, rather than a more appley style. Full, long, plenty of life left. Just a hint of petrol.. This holds well over couple of days. A-/B+

Saturday dinner was some beef stew, white beans Bretonne, and green salad. I opened the 1997 *Laffourcade Savennieres to use in the beans. I don't remember why/where I bought this, nor why I've kept so long (I know Savennieres can age, but with a totally unfamiliar producer...). Seemed tired and old when poured. It actually seemed fresher next day (in that weird way Chenin does sometimes), but wasn't really any more interesting- apple cider, short, a bit dull. C+/C

Dinner wine was the 2003 La Vieille Cure (Fronsac). Big, lush, lots of black plum and cocoa aromas. This could really use more acid with food, but it has some interesting components- with air there is mocha and earth notes, and I find myself enjoying on its own later with the guys. Modern but tasty. B

Roger and Rob came by for a glass or three, I had some pate de campagne, white anchovies, boucheron, and* tomme de Savioe out. We sampled the Riesling and the Bordeaux, plus I opened the1999 La Fornace Brunello di Montalcino. This is fully mature, and I need to drink up other bottle. Red fruit, tobacco, medium bodied,.Tannins mostly resolved, but there's a drying/astringent edge to the finish,.Others liked more than I did. B-

Sunday picked up sister-in-law at airport, dropped her at her place, and headed home to make pasta with a cleanoutthefridge sauce (tomatoes, roasted pepper, country ham, and olives). Wine was the 2010 Occhipinti SP68 - fresh, fragrant, floral, *and fun. Red berries, herbs and flowers, bright acids, just good stuff. I know some thought this not a great vintage, but I really enjoyed. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.