View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: wine is the happy antidote for sorrow (Euripides)

On Jan 5, 7:55*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> I am a creature of habit. When things are not going well, sticking to my habits (including noting wines I've drunk) seems to help.
>
> I had left off one excellent New Year's wine, the 2010 Karthauserhof Alte Rebe Trocken. Big, a bit Alsace-like, dry with lots of acidity, white fruits, minerals, a bit like a good high acid vintage of CSH. A-
>
> Jan 2nd seemed like a good day to take off work. I did house chores, while Betsy made some soups and pasta sauces for some friends going through treatments. We went to a late afternoon showing of "Hugo" which we both enjoyed, then home for a dinner of winter vegetable soup. While Betsy was ladling the soup I took a taste of the Blandys 5 yr Bual she had used in a different soup- good, not as sweet as I anticipated (I know little of Madeira), caramel and orange zest. Worlds away from cheap cooking "Madeira".
>
> As we were finishing dinner her mom called. She had found Betsy's 80 yr old father in the pool. At least he died doing something he loved. We booked tickets for Betsy and her sister (who also lives here),made calls, and figured out what to do about 2 sets of concerts Betsy was due to play in NC this coming week. I stayed behind- they quickly decided no immediate service, and so I stayed to supervise Betsy's niece and nephew (and our dog) as Cal is in Europe (and David and Mary Kate left today).
>
> Tuesday Dave and MK were still here, Betsy had left some bolognese in fridge and I opened the 2007 Ar Ar Pe Rosso di Valtellina. Singularly unimpressed at first, this was actually quite a nice wine once it got an hour or more air. Zippy acids, light to medium tannins, raspberry and cherry fruit with earth and violets. Nice length, on day 2 holding well with solid fruit, road tar, and leather. B++
>
> Wednesday was salmon, broccoli, and leftover hoppin John. 1/2 bottle of 2007 Grivot "Les Charmois" Nuits St George (I assume this is a lieu dit, no 1er designation) for me. Fairly hefty for 2007 village, red berries and pomegranite, soil, smoke. Maybe lacking finesse but satisfying PN. B
>
> While Dave and I took down tree and Christmas decorations, the 1997 Foreau Demi-Sec Vouvray. Though there is plenty of acid to balance the sweetness, this drinks more like a moeulleux than a demi-sec, there's clear botrytis that adds complexity but seems to weigh it down a bit. Quite good and fresh, but next time I'll open with cheese at a large table rather than on own for couple people. B+/B
>
> Tonight with some beef stew the 2010 Ch. la Colombiere "Vinum" Negrette (Fronton). Weightwise this might remind of a Beaujolais Villages, but the fruit profile is much darker, more blackberry with a touch of tar. Good acids, light tannins, juicy, not complicated. B/B-
>
> Here's to a good man who loved his family -and maybe found more professional satisfaction in his retirement career as a (often nude) art model than as an engineer.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

My deepest condolences to Betsy.