Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Susan[_6_] Susan[_6_] is offline

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

x-o-archive: yes

On 1/5/2012 6:05 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:

> I wish they'd hurry up and have more tomatoes in jars. I use a lot of
> diced or whole or crushed tomatoes in my cooking, and they're all in
> cans! Sauces are in jars, but I like to make my own sauces. I saw a
> list of seven foods the experts won't eat, and one of them was canned
> tomatoes. I cannot afford to buy fresh tomatoes all year and use them
> in cooking. *sigh*

I know, right?

I just went looking and found some interesting stuff on the Eden Foods
web site: http://www.edenfoods.com/faqs/view.php?categories_id=6

"Why amber glass for food?
The driving force at Eden for amber glass tomatoes was the avoidance of
bisphenol-A (BPA) in high acid food cans, and failure of the can
manufacturers to make BPA free cans for tomatoes.

Light damages color and flavor by causing chemical change.
Photo-oxidation (light damage) is systemic in food stores where
fluorescent lighting in particular, reduces food quality. Amber glass is
difficult to get and more costly, but it best protects food. Eden offers
the only tomatoes in the U.S.A. packed in amber glass, protecting flavor
and nutrients from light damage; EDEN Organic Spaghetti Sauces, Pizza
Pasta Sauce, Crushed Tomatoes, Crushed Tomatoes with Sweet Basil, and
Crushed Tomatoes with Roasted Onion & Garlic."

Susan