Greg Cook

Default Disgorging, and brine composition

On 4/9/04 12:42 PM, in article
, "Clyde Gill"

(Clyde Gill) wrote in message
>> . com>...
>>>
>>> The salt and ice trick was how we intended to go about disgorging, but
>>> I've been wondering lately if a bed of dry ice pellets might be more
>>> effective?!
>>>
>>> clyde

>> I'm not an expert in thermodynamics (nor do I play one on TV), but I
>> was once told that dry ice was not as effective because the water in
>> the brine solution would conduct the heat much more effectively.
>> Basically this is because of the increase in contact area compared to
>> even small ice pellets.
>>
>> Of course, we could always pour a glass of liquid nitrogen and freeze
>> a room temp. bottle in no time.
>>
>> Andy

> It sounds like you are referring to the difference between having some
> liquid in contact with the bottle, as opposed to dry pellets?
>
> The technique I'm talking about incorporates alcohol with the pellets,
> which would allow for the same transfer, only with colder temps.
>

> clyde

Yes - dry ice/alcohol should work well, Clyde.

I have not done this process, but we use dry ice/solvent all the time in our
chemistry laboratory.

FYI - dry ice is -78 °C. Quite cold and a slurry of dry ice/alcohol should
freeze the cap quite rapidly.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine