Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Doug Miller[_3_] Doug Miller[_3_] is offline

Default Non-Alcoholic Wine?

On 1/1/2012 11:06 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Does anyone know how to de-alcoholize the home-made wine?

That depends -- what's your objective?

If you want to get rid of the alcohol and keep the wine:
1) Heat it in an open vessel to 80 degrees Celsius. Most of the alcohol
will boil away, leaving nearly everything else behind. Downside: this
*will* have an adverse effect on the flavor of what's left.
2) In a closed vessel at room temperature, reduce the pressure to less
than 40 torr (0.05 atm). The alcohol will boil away, without affecting
the remaining constituents of the wine. Downside: laboratory or
industrial pressure vessels are required.

If you want to get rid of the wine and keep the alcohol, that's easy:
Google on "making a still". Downside, part I: if (as I believe) you're
in the United States, it's against the law. Downside, part II: if you
don't know what you're doing, there's some danger involved.