Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Tiger Lily Tiger Lily is offline

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

On 12/22/2011 12:25 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 1:07 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 12/22/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
>> snip
>>> A stroke caused this problem, and also often causes me problems
>>> with getting up from any chair that doesn't have a suitable right
>>> arm. Therefore, stools are out.
>>>
>>> The above ground gardening sounds more practical if I can get
>>> someone to build a suitable raised bed. However, it looks like
>>> I'll have to wait at least a few months for construction fences
>>> to be removed so I can reach a suitable place for such raised
>>> beds.
>>>
>>> Robert Miles

>> Mom and Dad found they made one mistake on their raised gardens
>>
>> they put all of them at the same height, not figuring in the height of
>> the harvest
>>
>> this meant the peas were a bit too high, the tomatoes were just right
>> and the carrots and onions a bit too low
>>
>> hubby has been putting in different levels of raised beds (most is still
>> done at ground level, this is a long term project)
>>
>> Mom is an OT, i'll ask her if she knows of any 'tricks' for assistance
>> in getting up/down
>>
>> kate

> You might make sure that she knows that they need to be usable with
> only one hand that will do much. I can currently get down, if how
> hard doesn't matter. Getting back up now often takes help from two
> people, not just one.
>
> Robert Miles

oh my, Robert

i just spoke to Mom for 45 minutes, let me do the 'concise'

1. A 2 prong approach is needed. Physio Therapy to help you strengthen
the needed muscles to compensate where need be. Occupational Therapy
for work with Physio for ? trapeze lift devices to assist you, or a
wheel chair so you have brakes and can move from one garden bed to the
next (and this is where a good 30 min describing assistance devices
occurred)

2. Many hospice facilities have raised gardens for their patients.
Check the designs they have, ask the folks using the gardens what they
think and ask the folk that work there what improvements/changes they
would like to see.

3. I got a huge caution that any comments without being able to
physically assess the needs that have to be addressed is foolish (I
think you speak well for yourself, it's ok! )

sorry i can't be more help

kate