Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Vegan sweetened condensed milk substitute

One of my daughter's favorite 'cookies' are the apricot, coconut,
walnut balls that are just mixed with sweetened condensed milk.

So I went looking for some substitutes. Many of them were real
time consuming or complicated so I used what I learned and came up
with this. I don't know how this will cook up, but raw it was
actually an improvement in these no-bake cookies.

1 can Coconut Cream
1/2 cup Agave nectar syrup

simmer to 242F on a candy thermometer.
xxxxx

It is the perfect 'sweet goo' to tie 4 cups each of shredded coconut &
chopped apricots, and 2 cups of chopped walnuts together.

I used 14oz of the goo. it made a bit more than that, but I used a
1/2 cup or so to make some vegan caramel last night. [that worked
well, too. I just cooked it some more in a saute pan until it looked
right.]

Jim