Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> also could be he gets over excited, or another possiblity is denying his
> real condition, Lee

He does have an anxiety disorder and my mom said he would get set off just
by the fact that we were coming over. Scurrying around to empty the sink of
any dishes and take out the trash. Then he would worry and stew if we
didn't arrive when we said we would. I am a very bad judge of time and
because of the way traffic can be, it can take as little as 15 minutes or
like today as much as an hour to get to their house.

But also I know that my mom hates cooking. And it is next to impossible for
us to come up with one meal we will all eat. I come from a family of picky
eaters. Add in the food allergies that three of us have, lactose
intolerance by one person, then the other food restrictions due to various
medical problems and what do you have? A big old mess! What has happened
in the past is that my mom has cooked two or three meats hoping to have
something for each of us. Then we bring the sides and desserts. But we
wind up with waaaay too much food and people wind up overeating and feeling
unwell. Which I guess is pretty typical for a Christmas meal but something
we need to avoid.

Angela and I went to the store tonight to get the expensive chocolate
covered cherries that my mom loves. They no longer carry them. In fact
they cut back on most of the candy they sell. Now they mostly have the bulk
stuff or individual bars. So I opted instead for a small bag of bulk
chocolate "rocks". They are small and remind me of fish tank gravel.
Everyone likes them and if one applies restraint one can have just a taste
and not overdo. I also got two kinds of gluten free cookies for Angela.
She couldn't make up her mind and I just wanted to go home and eat dinner so
I threw both kinds in the cart. And a very small bag of Walker's mini
shortbread. I think 6 of them had 18g of carb. I might be off on the carb
count. I don't remember exactly. Anyway I figured if I wanted to eat one,
then I could do that and it wouldn't be an overload of carbs.

But was this enough for my mom? No. She told me to bring some cookies for
the others. To which I replied, "Are you sure? In the past I have brought
cookies and nobody ate them!" Angela remembered it too. They had really
beautiful seasonal cookies at Central Market but when I looked at them she
told me not to even think about it because they wouldn't get eaten. I'm
thinking maybe I will get some sort of cheapish prepackaged cookies. Then
at least I won't lose so much money!