Posted to alt.food.barbecue
A Moose In Love A Moose In Love is offline

Default Prime Rib

On Dec 19, 6:59*pm, Gene > wrote:
> Got this fromAmerica's Test Kitchen, have usedit,and find thatitmakes the best prime ribIhave ever had.
>
> Iageit for 7 days.Also,Icut the meat off the riband THEN TIEITBACK ONTO THE BONES beforeIroast*it. This wayit holds up wellandis easier to slice before serving.
>
> Buy the ribs thatare the 10,11,and 12th ribsas theyare notafattybut still fatty enough.
>
> Why this recipe works:
>
> Most of us cook prime rib only onceayear,if that,and don’t want torisk experimenting with the cooking method—especially when the resultsare no better than mediocre. We thought thataspecial-occasion roastdeserved betterand wanted to find the best way to get the juicy,tender, rosy meat that prime rib should have. The principal questionfor roasting prime rib was oven temperature,and our research turnedupawide range of recommendations. Most delivered meat that waswell-done on the outside butincreasingly rare toward the center—nottoo bad, but not exactly great. Surprisingly, the roast we cookedatatemperature of only 250 degrees was rosy from the centerall the wayout.Additionally,it retained more juice thanaroast cookedatahigher temperature,and theinternal temperature rose less duringresting, so we had more control over the final degree of doneness.Searing before roasting gave usacrusty brown exterior. Forseasoning, prime rib needs nothing more than saltand pepper. Now thatwe’d foundadependable cooking method, we could serve thisonce-a-year roast with confidence. (less)
>
> Foraroast that'sas pink, juicy,and tenderat the surfaceasitisin the center, searit first, then roastit longand low.
>
> Serves 6 to 8
>
> Remember, evenaday or two ofagingin the refrigerator will help.
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 first-cut beef rib roast , 3 ribs (about 7 pounds), setat roomtemperature for 3 hours, tied twice between the rib bones (seeillustration below)* Saltand ground black pepper
>
> Instructions
>
> 1.Adjust oven rack to low positionand heat oven to 200 degrees. Heatlarge roasting pan over two burners setat medium-high heat. Placeroastin hot panand cook onall sides until nicely brownedandabout1/2 cup fat has rendered, 6 to 8 minutes.
>
> 2. Remove roast from pan. Set wire rackin pan, then set roast onrack. Generously season with saltand pepper.
>
> 3. Place roastin ovenand roast until meat registers 130 degrees (formedium-rare),about 3 1/2 hours (orabout 30 minutes per pound). Letstand 20 minutes (abit longeris fine) before serving.
>
> 4. Transfer to cutting boardand carveinaccordance with theinstructions below.
>
> TechniqueTyingand Carving the Prime Rib
>
> 1. To carve, remove the twineand set the roast onacutting board,rib bones perpendicular to the board. Usingacarving fork to hold theroastin place, cutalong the rib bones to sever the meat from the
> bones.

> [...]

This is from my restaurant days. Using a convection oven.
Put prime rib in a convection oven that has been preheated to 500F.
Leave at that temp for 1/2 hour.
Turn down heat to 200F.
Roast until desired doneness is reached. If memory serves correct our
roasts were not in that long. Perhaps 2 to 3 hours? It's been well
over three decades. 1977. I was a big ole' night chef working the
Maître d'Hôtel Butter station in a big ole' steak house. My assistant
would pass the finished steak to me, and I'd put a lil' ole' scoop of
Maître d'Hôtel Butter on top. Needless to say, the pace was fast and
furious.
Also, if you're not using a convection oven, you will need more
time.