Pavel314

Default Stuck Ferment: Melomel

I made a plum melomel last year, original SG = 1.09, and racked from the
primary to secondary when fermentation slowed, SG at that time 1.06. I just
racked again last weekend and the SG was still 1.06. This gives the alcohol
at slightly under 5%. It's also way too sweet; you can taste the unfermented
honey and it gets the equipment sticky.

I moved it upstairs where it's warmer and made a starter batch of Pasteur
Champagne yeast. When that was fermenting well, I put it into the melomel
and it didn't catch. After a couple of days, I drew off a sample of the
melomel and added Flor Sherry yeast; no reaction. I added sugar to that
sample and still no ferment.

It's now in a warm water bath in the laundry tub at 70-80 degrees F. I went
to the supply store and got some yeast energizer this afternoon and added
1/4 teaspoon per gallon, as recommended on the label. Hopefully, that will
work.

Any other tricks I could try? I've had stuck ferments before but they
usually get started again without this much trouble.

If all else fails, I have a batch of red pyment which seems a bit thin and
bland; maybe I could blend the plum with that and see if it's drinkable.

Paul