Posted to rec.food.cooking
phaeton phaeton is offline

Default Gonna do some tea

On Dec 8, 6:35*pm, heyjoe > wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 15:21:16 -0800 (PST), phaeton wrote:
> > 2) heat the water (preferably in a non-reacting pot) until it is just
> > under boiling- about 190-195F.

> Not sure if it's the tannins or something else, but I much prefer green
> tea made with less than boiling water (approx. 190F), as opposed to
> boiling (212F) water. *The hotter water makes a green tea that tastes
> bitter to me.
>
> OTOH, water at a full boil is what I prefer for black tea.

Yup, it's the tannins that make it bitter. I don't measure the water
temp anymore, I can tell by the sound that it's at the temp I like.
It very well may be 190 or lower for green. I'll stick my instant
read into it next time.

I actually brew black tea a little hotter when I make iced tea. I
like iced tea to be a little bit bitter, and it's the only time i add
sugar to tea (not a lot). I've pretty much replaced all sodas in my
diet with cold black tea.

Anyone ever notice that "Bob Terwilliger" sounds like a brand of
tea? :P

-J