Posted to alt.food.wine

Default OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

On 12/7/11 6:23 AM, Joseph Coulter wrote:

>> Forgive this European, but is 'In memorium' American English? That gave me
>> a start... :-)
>>
>> Anders
>>

> It is certainly American in usage, but coming from our good mate from
> down under, I would surmise it is fairly universal despite its Latin
> look, for" in memory of".

What Anders is referring to, I suspect, is that proper Latin would have
it as "in memoriAm" not "in memoriUm," but as you say it's a common
error in the English-speaking world. Using this high tech tool:

<http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=in+memorium&word2=in+me moriam>

we can see that the proper term outnumbers the improper one 4.6 million
to 0.2 million on the Web, which I suppose is reassuring.

Mark Lipton