Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 PM posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Trios - Diamond Creek, Guigal, Hugel

On Dec 4, 12:34*pm, "Bill S." wrote:
Notes from a tasting dinner featuring wine trios, arranged by Albert
Givton in Vancouver.

With cheese, a trio of rare 1976 Hugel Gewurtraminers, all single cask
Vendage Tardives Selections des Grains Nobles, ‘Sélectionneé par Jean
Hugel’. The labels looked ‘normal’ but had an additional lozenge on
them naming the ‘fut’ they were bottled from.

Cask 28 – sweet lychee nose, the wine now getting fairly dry, although
with nice intensity. Finished a tad warm.

Cask *67 – more a citrus nose in this one, (none seemed particularly
varietal at this age) but this seemed more Gewurz on palate and
retained a bit more residual sugar.

Cask 20 – Wow! *Fresh spicy lemon nose with peach overtones and some
nutmeg. Sweeter wine, having retained more RS as well as having nicely
balancing acidity. Clearly the best and most youthful wine, and the
only one that you could keep – the others will continue to dry out and
decline. *Have to say that this would be just about my perfect foie
gras wine!

Thanks for the tasting notes, since I have 1 bottle of Fut 28 and 3 of
Fut67. I also have 3 bottles of Schlumberger Cuvee Anne 1976
Gewurztramininer which is one of the richest late harvest wines ever
made in Alsace. It is by far the best late harvest wine from Alsace
that I have ever tasted, and I may have posted tasting notes here in
the past. The year 1976 was especially good for late harvest wines in
Alsace. I think I bought all of these wines at auction from the
Chicago Wine Company shortly after they were released, and they have
been stored properly since.