Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christopher M.[_3_] Christopher M.[_3_] is offline

Default Pralines

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> First... How do you pronounce them? I grew up saying "prayleen" but I
> have only heard "prawline" or "prawleen" from other people.
>
> Second... What should they taste like, look like, and the texture?
>
> I ask because I bought one today at Hobby Lobby and I don't think it was
> right.
>
> They are not common in this area.
>
> We got them all the time when I lived in Wichita.
>
> Then when we moved here to WA, we would get them at this one Mexican
> restaurant. They were just like I remembered. Round, kind of flat like a
> cookie and loaded with pecan nut halves. The taste was rich and of brown
> sugar and it had sort of a gritty/sugary feel in the mouth. Not exactly
> crisp but hard to describe. Certainly not soft or gooey.
>
> I do remember buying one in a Mexican grocery here a few years back and it
> wasn't like I remembered it but now I can't remember why.
>
> The one I bought today seemed just weird to me. I only had one bite. My
> parents ate the rest and they said it was just fine and what it was
> supposed to taste like. But I think they were wrong.
>
> First this was made with a mix of pecans and walnuts and it said there
> could be peanuts in it. The nuts were chopped. Not finely chopped but
> pretty small pieces. And not a lot of nuts.
>
> The shape was a really thick, chunky oval. Much thicker than I think it
> should be.
>
> The texture was soft and creamy. The nuts were not crisp at all and there
> was no brown sugar taste or mouthfeel. My parents said it tasted rich to
> them but it didn't to me. Not at all. Just sweet. Kind of sickly sweet.
> The texture was just creamy. Sort of like a really thick cake icing. And
> I don't think that's right.
>
> I have looked up various recipes and I can't really tell what the texture
> should be from those but the shape and look of them is exactly like I
> remembered.
>
> So... How should they be?
>
> Thanks!

I've never made them before, but I'm going to try this recipe.
http://www.food.com/recipe/pralines-27340

It contains whipping/heavy cream. I've seen sweetened condensed milk in
other recipes.

You might want to watch a video before you make them. Pralines are kind of
tricky.

Some people toast the pecans first.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)