Posted to rec.food.cooking
Polly Esther[_2_] Polly Esther[_2_] is offline

Default Pralines

"zxcvbob" <wrote, in part> Josephine’s Pralines

> 1/4 Cup water
> 2T margarine
> 1 Cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
> 1 Cup Confectioner's sugar
> 1/2 teasp vanilla extract
> 1 Cup chopped pecans
>
> Place large towel on counter w/wax paper on top; In medium saucepan, add
> water and butter; Bring to boil; Stir in sugars; Bring back to boil; Boil
> and stir 1 minute only; Remove from heat;
> Stir in vanilla and pecans; Beat by hand until it begins to thicken
> slightly; Note: DO NOT OVER BEAT! candy will harden too soon; Immediately
> drop from teaspoon on to wax paper; Cool and store in covered container;

Here's the method I use lately. We have a fierce microwave and I back off
from the High setting. A clear sunny day is the best weather for these. We
sent some to our deployed in Afghanistan Christmas 2010; this year they go
to Kuwait.

Microwave Pralines

l box butterscotch pie filling (NOT instant) (weighs about 3 ounces)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
l cup sugar (Not confectioner's)
l tablespoon butter (cold is okay, it will melt)
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans ( if you're going for world/class competition, brush
the pecans to remove any bits of woodsy redish dust before chopping)

Wipe countertop with damp cloth so the foil will stay in place and spread a
large sheet of aluminum foil on counter
Sift or sieve together pie filling and both sugars; mix with evaporated milk
in microwave safe mixing bowl and add butter.
Cook 3 minutes on high (says the recipe, I back off to level 8).
Stir.
Cook 2 more minutes, stir. Cook 2 more minutes. Stir. You're looking for
less than 220 degrees. If you use a candy thermometer, be sure to temper it
by setting it first in a cup of hot water.
Add pecans and vanilla. Stir.
Drop on foil.
If it gets too thick while you're dipping add a FEW drops of evaporated milk
that's left in the can.
Some pralines will set immediately, some make take overnight. Polly