Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Pralines

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 23:56:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>First... How do you pronounce them? I grew up saying "prayleen" but I have
>only heard "prawline" or "prawleen" from other people.
>
>Second... What should they taste like, look like, and the texture?
>
>I ask because I bought one today at Hobby Lobby and I don't think it was
>right.
>
>They are not common in this area.
>
>We got them all the time when I lived in Wichita.
>
>Then when we moved here to WA, we would get them at this one Mexican
>restaurant. They were just like I remembered. Round, kind of flat like a
>cookie and loaded with pecan nut halves. The taste was rich and of brown
>sugar and it had sort of a gritty/sugary feel in the mouth. Not exactly
>crisp but hard to describe. Certainly not soft or gooey.
>
>I do remember buying one in a Mexican grocery here a few years back and it
>wasn't like I remembered it but now I can't remember why.
>
>The one I bought today seemed just weird to me. I only had one bite. My
>parents ate the rest and they said it was just fine and what it was supposed
>to taste like. But I think they were wrong.
>
>First this was made with a mix of pecans and walnuts and it said there could
>be peanuts in it. The nuts were chopped. Not finely chopped but pretty
>small pieces. And not a lot of nuts.
>
>The shape was a really thick, chunky oval. Much thicker than I think it
>should be.
>
>The texture was soft and creamy. The nuts were not crisp at all and there
>was no brown sugar taste or mouthfeel. My parents said it tasted rich to
>them but it didn't to me. Not at all. Just sweet. Kind of sickly sweet.
>The texture was just creamy. Sort of like a really thick cake icing. And I
>don't think that's right.
>
>I have looked up various recipes and I can't really tell what the texture
>should be from those but the shape and look of them is exactly like I
>remembered.
>
>So... How should they be?

To page up or down, click on arrows.

praline
[PRAH-leen, prah-LEEN, PRAY-leen]
1. A brittle confection made of almonds and CARAMELIZED sugar. It may
be eaten as candy, ground and used as a filling or dessert ingredient,
or sprinkled atop desserts as a garnish. 2. A special patty-shaped
candy from Louisiana made with pecans and brown sugar.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.