Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pralines

First... How do you pronounce them? I grew up saying "prayleen" but I have
only heard "prawline" or "prawleen" from other people.

Second... What should they taste like, look like, and the texture?

I ask because I bought one today at Hobby Lobby and I don't think it was
right.

They are not common in this area.

We got them all the time when I lived in Wichita.

Then when we moved here to WA, we would get them at this one Mexican
restaurant. They were just like I remembered. Round, kind of flat like a
cookie and loaded with pecan nut halves. The taste was rich and of brown
sugar and it had sort of a gritty/sugary feel in the mouth. Not exactly
crisp but hard to describe. Certainly not soft or gooey.

I do remember buying one in a Mexican grocery here a few years back and it
wasn't like I remembered it but now I can't remember why.

The one I bought today seemed just weird to me. I only had one bite. My
parents ate the rest and they said it was just fine and what it was supposed
to taste like. But I think they were wrong.

First this was made with a mix of pecans and walnuts and it said there could
be peanuts in it. The nuts were chopped. Not finely chopped but pretty
small pieces. And not a lot of nuts.

The shape was a really thick, chunky oval. Much thicker than I think it
should be.

The texture was soft and creamy. The nuts were not crisp at all and there
was no brown sugar taste or mouthfeel. My parents said it tasted rich to
them but it didn't to me. Not at all. Just sweet. Kind of sickly sweet.
The texture was just creamy. Sort of like a really thick cake icing. And I
don't think that's right.

I have looked up various recipes and I can't really tell what the texture
should be from those but the shape and look of them is exactly like I
remembered.

So... How should they be?

Thanks!