Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Where Turkey Is The Guest, Not The Entree

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:33:47 GMT, and/or www.mantra.com/jai
(Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

>Where Turkey Is The Guest, Not The Entree
>
>By Emma Jacobs
>http://innovationtrail.org/people/emma-jacobs
>NPR
>Wednesday, November 23, 2011

.. . .
>"We don't want to eat them," Cohen says. "They're no different than
>dogs and cats. They feel pleasure and pain."

· Because there are so many different situations
involved in the raising of meat animals, it is completely
unfair to the animals to think of them all in the same
way, as eliminationists do. To think that all of it is
cruel, and to think of all animals which are raised for
the production of food in the same way, oversimplifies
and distorts one's interpretation of the way things
really are. Just as it would to think that there is no
cruelty or abuse at all.

Beef cattle spend nearly their entire lives outside
grazing, which is not a bad way to live. Veal are
confined to such a degree that they appear to have
terrible lives, so there's no reason to think of both
groups of animals in the same way.
Chickens raised as fryers and broilers, and egg
producers who are in a cage free environment--as well as
the birds who parent all of them, and the birds who parent
battery hens--are raised in houses, but not in cages. The
lives of those birds are not bad. Battery hens are confined
to cages, and have what appear to be terrible lives, so
there is no reason to think of battery hens and the other
groups in the same way. ·