Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Usenet going out of fashion

On 28/11/2011 2:00 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-11-27, > wrote:
>> For the past few days I haven't had usenet access. Didn't think much of
>> it at first as there are occasional outages but after 2 or 3 days I
>> called the helpdesk at my ISP. The helpdesk lady had no idea what I was
>> talking about when I mentioned usenet news.

> Support ppl have NEVER known about newsgrous and usenet, even when the
> big ISPs had their own groups. Hell, 1st tier support ppl don't know
> anything about anything, so no surprise, there.
>
> Not only is usenet and irc still alive and well, new websites --think
> foodbanter-- pirating usenet content are popping up all over. I can
> find what I posted in rfc in a common google search the same day I
> posted it. I don't think usenet is going anywhere, soon. Plus, quit
> being such a cheap ass and PAY for a GOOD acct. News.Idividual.Net
> only costs a measley $1 per month, ferchrysakes!

For what I do on usenet, eternal september will satisfy my needs for the
time being. As you may have noted, it was some time before I managed to
get around to rectifying my lack of access. That would give a fair
indication of the priority I give to usenet. It's nice to have but
certainly not an essential in my life.

> http://www.individual.net/
>
> BTW, desktop computers aren't going anywhere, also.
>
> nb

Desktops may be around for a while yet but they aren't going to look
anything like the beige boxes of old. Apple started the trend of change
by building everything into the monitor housing. It became much easier,
not to mention more trendy looking, to do the integration when flat
screen technology arrived. I have a G3 iMac that statred the trend. I
didn't follow it up with a G4 or G5 iMac instead opting for the huge
silver tower of the Powermac. Now all my friends are buying desktops
where the entire computer is integrated into the display. Another trend
is the miniaturisation of the beige box. The Mac Mini is a good example
of that. You can squeeze an awful lot of computing power into a very
small space these days.

Krypsis