Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default WHY VEGANISM?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:49:49 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 12:42:19 -0800, dh@. wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:00:28 GMT, and/or www.mantra.com/jai
>>(Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:
>>
>>>Denton Vegan Cooperative
>>>
>>>Why Veganism?
>>>
>>>For compassion, the environment, your health, the future.
>>>
>>>Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things,
>>>man will not himself find peace.
>>>
>>>- Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician
>>>(Nobel 1952)

>> · Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
>>wood and paper products, electricity, roads and all types of
>>buildings, their own diet, etc... just as everyone else does.
>>What they try to avoid are products which provide life
>>(and death) for farm animals, but even then they would have
>>to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
>>in order to be successful:
>>
>>tires, paper, upholstery, floor waxes, glass, water
>>filters, rubber, fertilizer, antifreeze, ceramics, insecticides,
>>insulation, linoleum, plastic, textiles, blood factors, collagen,
>>heparin, insulin, solvents, biodegradable detergents, herbicides,
>>gelatin capsules, adhesive tape, laminated wood products,
>>plywood, paneling, wallpaper and wallpaper paste, cellophane
>>wrap and tape, abrasives, steel ball bearings
>>
>> The meat industry provides life for the animals that it
>>slaughters, and the animals live and die as a result of it
>>as animals do in other habitats. They also depend on it for
>>their lives as animals do in other habitats. If people consume
>>animal products from animals they think are raised in decent
>>ways, they will be promoting life for more such animals in the
>>future. People who want to contribute to decent lives for
>>livestock with their lifestyle must do it by being conscientious
>>consumers of animal products, because they can not do it by
>>being vegan.
>> From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
>>steer and whatever he happens to kill during his life, people
>>get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat...that's well
>>over 500 servings of meat. From a grass raised dairy cow people
>>get thousands of dairy servings. Due to the influence of farm
>>machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
>>draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
>>likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
>>derived from grass raised animals. Grass raised animal products
>>contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
>>better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. ·

>Lazy boilerplate pasting ****.

Try not to let it upset you. The things I pointed out have not only been
true for the ten years I've been sharing them with people, but they've been true
for the entire ten thousand years humans have had agricultural civilizations.
Those of you who don't like it should try to find a place where you can go and
live like they did in the "old days" before farming. Go!