Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Change in faq pages for this group

cwdjrxyz wrote:

> The host for my web pages has just set up a service called Whois
> Privacy. Now when someone tries to get my domain registration
> information from Whois, they are directed to a privacy company in
> Canada. One can send an email to me there, but the requester is given
> no registration information, and I do not have to respond to any email
> sent. If you want to check on Whois, you only enter the cwdjr.net part
> in my case where you would get registration information of the main
> domain. If you enter a subdoman name before this or anything else such
> as www., you will not receive information.

Good idea. A number of such whois privacy services exist, precisely for
the reasons you describe (one can also imagine more fraught
circumstances arising from personal information being leaked). Despite
precautions such as CAPTCHA being used on web-based whois sites, nothing
stops a determined organization from doing repetitive whois lookups with
a simple automated script. Fortunately, I did a whois on the site years
ago, so I can still hunt down your wine cellar for my own nefarious
purposes!

Mark Lipton