Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Change in faq pages for this group

The faq web pages for this group at winefaq.cwdjr.net are a subdomain
of one of my primary domains www.cwdjr.net. I recently have made a
change for the main domain to increase privacy. This likely will make
no difference for the winefaq pages, but I thought I should mention
it.

When you put up a primary domain, registration information including
name, address, phone numbers etc is required. This information usually
is made public and can be viewed by anyone on the Whois site at
http://www.tucowsdomains.com/whois/ . This information is used by
marketers and hackers and can greatly increase your net spam, junk
mail, and junk telephone calls. Being on both national and state do
not call lists, using call blocking for automated phone calls, etc is
not enough. The final event that made me do something was a phone call
from who knows where that woke me up and wanted to know if I wanted
the caller to set up a web page for me for selling wine!

The host for my web pages has just set up a service called Whois
Privacy. Now when someone tries to get my domain registration
information from Whois, they are directed to a privacy company in
Canada. One can send an email to me there, but the requester is given
no registration information, and I do not have to respond to any email
sent. If you want to check on Whois, you only enter the cwdjr.net part
in my case where you would get registration information of the main
domain. If you enter a subdoman name before this or anything else such
as www., you will not receive information.