Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog[_2_] Anders Tørneskog[_2_] is offline

Default TN: French, German, and Hungarian wines

Sorry, misread the figures, 7%alc and 565g/l it is - not 7.5% and 65g/l...

:-) Anders

"cwdjrxyz" > skrev i melding
On Nov 22, 7:17 am, "Anders Tørneskog"
> wrote:
> "DaleW" > skrev i
> meldingnews:28672806.6.1321932148278.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdd1...
>
> > thanks for information. This actually lists alcohol as 4.5%, not 7. 565
> > g/l is plenty sweet for me,
> > Wine hasn't budged in 2 days.

> There's something wrong here. A Tokaji aszu essencia will have more than
> 180g/l of RS, an essencia about 400-600g/l...
> (the record is over 900...!)
>
> Even an ordinary German Spätlese may have more than 65g/l, an Auslese
> often
> over 100.
>
> Anders

The small 100 ml bottle I have lists residual sugar as 56.5 g/100ml.
In the more usual units this is 565 g/l as Dale mentioned, if I read
his figures correctly. This falls at the lower end of about 400 - 600
g/l and sometimes over 900 g/l for essencia that you mention. I have a
bottle of a 2000 essencia that has about 800 g/l of residual sugar.
and I have read that even sweeter essencia was made in 2000, although
I have not seen tasting notes for such or any sales offers for it. At
one time the Hungarian laws allowed somewhat less sugar for essencia.
The minimum sugar content for essencia grade is used to be certain the
wine is rich enough much as is done in Germany and Austria for a TBA,
for example. If one defined essencia based on rich juice at the bottom
of a vat, perhaps some would cheat by hiring a circus fat lady or
elephant to sit on the top of the vat to produce more juice at the
bottom :-).

Under 1997 law, an essencia must have at least 450 g/l of residual
sugar and also 50 g/l of dry extract. Earlier a minimum of 250 g/l of
residual sugar was required. I believe these numbers are correct, but
they come from a secondary source and not from my reading Hungarian
laws directly.

Also, until recently, most bottles were 500 ml, but many are now 375
ml. For example, the 1999 Royal Tokay essencia was sold in 500 ml
bottles and their 2000 sold in 375 ml bottles.