Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: French, German, and Hungarian wines

Saturday I attended a benefit for the social action programs at a local church. "An Evening in Hungary", a combination dinner/auction/concert, with my friend Alex as chief chef, and Betsy, her sister, and brother-in-law among musicians.

During the milling around/cocktail/silent auction part, they were pouring the
NV Delacroix Brut. Light, crisp, innocuous, really fairly decent for a $7-8 sparkler. B- At my table there was also a bottle of the NV Bernard Bremont Rose Champagne. As always I really enjoy this- full, powerful, long, but with a sense of elegance. B+/A-

Dinner was a really fantastic Maygar mushroom soup, followed by chicken (cornish hen) paprikash, bread dumplings (tasted like good T'giving stuffing), and red cabbage.

2007 Christian Moreau "les Clos" Chablis Grand Cru
This, the Bremont, and the du Tertre were duplicates to some of the wines included in a lot I had donated, I made sure a few likely bidders got some tastes. Good showing- full, rich, long. Really classic stuff, full as a Meursault but with Chablis crispness and oyster shell notes. A-/B+

2008 Egri Bikaver "Bull's Blood"
This was the house pour, again, decent for a $8 wine, a touch rustic and rough. B-/C+

1979 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux)
I had double-decanted this before traveling over. Cork was soft, but came out clean with ah-s0. I thought it funky and maybe pruney, but by time I was putting back in bottle it seemed more "normal." By serving time it was showing well- fully resolved tannins, still bright acids, good fruit, cigarbox, a bit of brett but well within my tolerance - more animal than manure. Fully mature, good. B+

After meal, one last go at the silent auction then everyone moved to sanctuary for concert. Cal did a great job of describing two strains of Hungarian music (the Viennese influence during A-H empire and folk music) and how they sometimes combined. He,Betsy,* and a pianist did the* "rondo all'Ongarese" movement of a Haydn trio, then he and Bets did a movement from a Kodaly duo. "Tree of Life" (hungarian folk group) did a series of songs, then Cal and Kath some quick Bartok duos, and the finish was the "Rono all Zingarese" movement of Brahms piano quartet. Great stuff.

People returned to dining room for dessert (2 strudels), but I joined the musicians for their late meal.

2009 Chidaine "Les Argiles" Vouvray
Crisp, zippy, apple/quince tart with a squirt of lemon juice, fun stuff. B

1993 Ch. Pajzos Tokaji Esszencia*(500 ml)
Cal loves Esszencia, and I promised I'd bring this for the musicians. Everyone was appreciative, but I was a little disappointed. Intensely sweet of course, with fig, raisin, orange peel, and caramel among notes, but while intense I didn't think this especially complex. B
..
Sunday I was cooking, after trip to fish store I decided to start with
conch salad. Starter wine was the 2010 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett. Bright, apple, citrus, probably more Spatlese-y but plenty of zip, long mineral finish. A-/B+

Main was tuna steaks in herb marinade, green beans, roasted purple yams (I think this is the Filipino kind) and carrots. Wine was the 2006 Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne. Ripe, maybe could use a touch more acid, but pretty black cherry fruit, a little coffee, good length, fun and easy. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.