View Single Post
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes
external usenet poster

Default A Wholesome, Plant-Based Diet May Cut Risks and Complications of Diabetes

In article >,
says...
|:|
|:|On Nov 18, 9:33*am, Dennes De Mennes > wrote:
|:|> In article >, jaym1212
|:|> @hotmail.com says...
|:|> |:|
|:|> |:|> there's also the glycemic index you need to look at. fruits such as papaya, mango,
|:|> |:|> pineapple, etc. are just as bad as straight sugar ...
|:|> |:|
|:|> |:|If a person ate nothing but papaya, mango and pineapple (and maybe
|:|> |:|some B12), how long would it take an average non-diabetic to become
|:|> |:|one? I am worried because I have been eating primarily cantaloupes and
|:|> |:|bananas for the past two months and according to fitday, averaging 88%
|:|> |:|carbs, 7% protein and 5% fat (1% PUFA).
|:|>
|:|> geoff bond from naturaleater.com has this 'savanna' model with 6 different levels, the
|:|> top level is green-green which is perfect, then comes green, which is in close
|:|> conformity, then green-amber, comfort zone or within the margin of tolerance of a healthy
|:|> person for daily consupmtion, then amber, slight lapse but tolerable regularly if rest of
|:|> diet is good, then amber-red, modest lapse and tolerable on occasion if rest of diet
|:|> good, then finally red, bad lapse, completely avoid. this is all in the book 'deadly
|:|> harvest'. that one you need to purchase.
|:|> for bananas he says: ``The degree of maturity can make a difference. Fruits, notably
|:|> bananas, have higher G.I.?s the riper they are.'' this is coming from:
http://www.naturaleater.com/natural-...ating-appendix...
|:|> table 2 you can see lists them as foods to be eaten in controlled quantities, the
|:|> quantity being 1 banana, or 1 slice of melon. tables 3 4 and 5 are the G.I. tables, and
|:|> banana is listed in the borderline table (table 4) with an index of 45 if green, and
|:|> melon in the bad table (table 3), with an index of 70, but another difference is that the
|:|> melon is low density and the banana medium, so they sort of cancel out, banana is less
|:|> glycemic but more dense, the other high glycemic but low density.
|:|> this is the link to the whole book that's available online for free:http://www.naturaleater.com/Natural-...-Web-Index.htm
|:|> this is another guide that can be downloaded:http://www.naturaleater.com/guide/guide.htm
|:|> not sure if it's the same as the natural eating book, or something else. i haven't looked
|:|> at that one yet.
|:|
|:|I have reservations on numerous things on the linked pages.
|:|To start with a lot restrictions on fructose and fructose containing
|:|fruits. Still interesting. Just remember this is a room full of folks
|:|with either full DM or prediabetes depending on the
|:|diagnositic thresholds chosen.

yeah--consider it just one more source of health information but not the definitive one,
this guy even opposes all grains and all legumes, not to mention all dairy...

but he's convincing on the proposition that meat is not as poisonous as it's been made
out to be by most vegetarians. it just has to be wild game, not farmed.