Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Monte Cristo Sandwich

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So, if you've ever had or were going to make a Monte Cristo
>> sandwich, how would you go about it? No googling If
>> you've ever had one you'll know it!

> In my experience, and I do stress it is my experience and I make no
> claim for special knowledge, it's a croque-monsieur with a slice of
> turkey added.
>
> Having said that, I checked and the slice of turkey is apparently a
> "regional" variation, in my case the region of southern New
> Brunswick, the city of Saint John to be precise. It was what I ate
> a few times at the Delta hotel there, back 30 some years ago when I
> had to travel to Saint John to spend time with my infant daughter.
>
> I have not had it since. I have not seen it on menus since.
>
> --

Ah, yes, the croque-monsieur with turkey. Except it's not quite that. The
Monte Cristo is a rare item on menus, to be sure. I haven't seen it on a
menu in about 20 years. The distinction between croque-monsieur is it's ham
and turkey with swiss cheese, battered and deep fried. Then sprinkled
lightly with powdered sugar and served with strawberry jam. (It should
probably only be eaten once every twenty years.) These people have managed
to *******ize it into a ham sandwich with harvarti served on toasted
brioche. Sorry, people, that is *not* a Monte Cristo!

Jill