Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Chicken Liver Pate

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message

>>> I have found that the only thing that makes chicken livers "creamy
>>> smooth" is not overcooking them. There is no benefit to simmering
>>> chicken livers with onion and garlic and thyme for five minutes, as that
>>> isn't enough time to soften and develop the flavors or the onion and
>>> garlic, and you lose all of the thyme to the water. It would be better
>>> to saute those before cooking the livers, and hold them to the side
>>> until you're ready to take it all to the food processor.
>>>
>>> Even a food processor can't make overcooked livers "creamy smooth" no
>>> matter how hard you try or how much fat you add, but chicken livers that
>>> are cooked through and still pink in the center are moist and smooth as
>>> silk without mechanical assistance. I also don't bother brining chicken
>>> livers for pate. I add the seasoning later.

>> I think what may make the recipe survive on the table is the large
>> quantity of butter, far more than most of us would want. This recipe was
>> published in 1982 in "Everyday Cooking".
>>
>> Kent

> Come on now. Duck liver is the way to go. Soak in milk overnight, sauté
> the onion and garlic, drain the liver, toss it all in the blender with
> herbs and Marsala and 1 pound melted butter for each pound of liver. Then
> bake it off.

Absolutely! Duck liver is almost the best. The best, of course, is goose
liver, It's very pricey though. Both are very satisfying. I routinely use
turkey liver in turkey stuffing. It has quite a delicate flavor. It goes
into the stuffing without cooking, and it's cooked only along with the
stuffing.

Kent