Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes
[email protected] | trigonometry1972@gmail.com | is offline

Default A Wholesome, Plant-Based Diet May Cut Risks and Complications of Diabetes

On Nov 16, 9:28*pm, and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> In article >,
> *Robert Miles > posted:
>

> > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > > Forwarded post from Earth News October 2011

> > > A Wholesome, Plant-Based Diet May Cut Risks and Complications of
> > > Diabetes

> > > By Caitlin Rose

> > > If the cost of treating a chronic health condition is weighing you
> > > down, you’re not alone. Last month, the World Economic Forum
> > > estimated that by the year 2030, the global cost of treating chronic
> > > health conditions will total $47 trillion dollars.1 According to the
> > > National Institute of Health, diabetes alone affects almost 26
> > > million people in the United States and national treatment costs for
> > > diabetes total $174 billion dollars per year. Furthermore,
> > > individuals diagnosed with diabetes have an average of twice as many
> > > medical expenses as non-diabetics.2

> > > Fortunately, leading health experts agree that by switching to a low-
> > > fat, plant-based diet, you may be able to alleviate certain risk
> > > factors and complications resulting from diabetes. Numerous
> > > scientific studies have concluded that a low-fat, plant-based diet
> > > may help you lose weight, increase insulin sensitivity and improve
> > > blood sugar levels. If you have a family history of diabetes, or are
> > > worried that you may be at risk, adopting a wholesome vegetarian diet
> > > may help prevent the development of diabetes as well.

> > > Weight loss is a consistent feature of a wholesome plant-based diet.
> > > According to a 2010 USDA Dietary Guidelines report, vegetarian diets
> > > are often lower in calories, and vegetarians tend to have a lower
> > > body mass index than non-vegetarians.3 As a bonus, a low-fat, plant-
> > > based diet may also be easier to adopt than the standard diet put out
> > > by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). In 2004, researchers
> > > affiliated with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
> > > (PCRM) compared a low-fat, plant-based diet with the diet designed by
> > > the ADA. The study published in the peer-reviewed journal, Diabetes
> > > Care, found that those on a plant-based diet not only lost more
> > > weight, but also had an easier time sticking with the diet.4 This was
> > > possibly due to the fact that while participants in the ADA diet were
> > > required to restrict calories and count carbs, those following a low-
> > > fat, plant-based diet were able to eat as much as they wanted within
> > > the parameters of the diet.

> > > A healthy vegetarian diet may improve blood sugar control and insulin
> > > sensitivity, leading to a decreased need for medication. During the
> > > same comparison study, researchers found that after 22 weeks, 43% of
> > > participants in the plant-based diet were able to decrease their
> > > medication, compared to 26% of those following the standard ADA
> > > diet.5 In another study published in the American Journal of
> > > Medicine, researchers compared a low-fat, plant-based diet to a diet
> > > recommended by the National Cholesterol Education Program. The study
> [...]

It would be interesting to see how the meat eaters of India
fare in comparison to the non meat eaters. Both populations
are likely eating too much sugar, white rice, and refined
wheat. Plus even whole wheat and whole grain rice
aren't ideal. I wonder if the population is eating fewer
legumes?

You better get your BMI below 23 if you are Indian..............Trig