Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default A Wholesome, Plant-Based Diet May Cut Risks and Complications of Diabetes

In article >,
Robert Miles > posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
> > Forwarded post from Earth News October 2011
> >
> > A Wholesome, Plant-Based Diet May Cut Risks and Complications of
> > Diabetes
> >
> > By Caitlin Rose
> >
> > If the cost of treating a chronic health condition is weighing you
> > down, you’re not alone. Last month, the World Economic Forum
> > estimated that by the year 2030, the global cost of treating chronic
> > health conditions will total $47 trillion dollars.1 According to the
> > National Institute of Health, diabetes alone affects almost 26
> > million people in the United States and national treatment costs for
> > diabetes total $174 billion dollars per year. Furthermore,
> > individuals diagnosed with diabetes have an average of twice as many
> > medical expenses as non-diabetics.2
> >
> > Fortunately, leading health experts agree that by switching to a low-
> > fat, plant-based diet, you may be able to alleviate certain risk
> > factors and complications resulting from diabetes. Numerous
> > scientific studies have concluded that a low-fat, plant-based diet
> > may help you lose weight, increase insulin sensitivity and improve
> > blood sugar levels. If you have a family history of diabetes, or are
> > worried that you may be at risk, adopting a wholesome vegetarian diet
> > may help prevent the development of diabetes as well.
> >
> > Weight loss is a consistent feature of a wholesome plant-based diet.
> > According to a 2010 USDA Dietary Guidelines report, vegetarian diets
> > are often lower in calories, and vegetarians tend to have a lower
> > body mass index than non-vegetarians.3 As a bonus, a low-fat, plant-
> > based diet may also be easier to adopt than the standard diet put out
> > by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). In 2004, researchers
> > affiliated with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
> > (PCRM) compared a low-fat, plant-based diet with the diet designed by
> > the ADA. The study published in the peer-reviewed journal, Diabetes
> > Care, found that those on a plant-based diet not only lost more
> > weight, but also had an easier time sticking with the diet.4 This was
> > possibly due to the fact that while participants in the ADA diet were
> > required to restrict calories and count carbs, those following a low-
> > fat, plant-based diet were able to eat as much as they wanted within
> > the parameters of the diet.
> >
> > A healthy vegetarian diet may improve blood sugar control and insulin
> > sensitivity, leading to a decreased need for medication. During the
> > same comparison study, researchers found that after 22 weeks, 43% of
> > participants in the plant-based diet were able to decrease their
> > medication, compared to 26% of those following the standard ADA
> > diet.5 In another study published in the American Journal of
> > Medicine, researchers compared a low-fat, plant-based diet to a diet
> > recommended by the National Cholesterol Education Program. The study
> > participants consisted of post-menopausal women whose weight put them
> [...]

Excerpts:

Doctors say a perverse twist of science makes Indians susceptible to
diabetes and complications such as heart disease and stroke as soon
as their living conditions improve. As a decade of 7 percent average
annual growth lifts 400 million people into the middle class, bodies
primed over generations for poverty, malnutrition and manual labor
are leaving Indians ill- prepared for calorie-loaded food or the
cars, TVs and computers that sap physical activity.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...dle-class.html

In India, Vegetarianism Is Usually Synonymous With Lacto
Vegetarianism. . . . According To The 2006 Hindu-Cnn-Ibn State Of The
Nation Survey,[11] 31% Of Indians Are Vegetarians, While Another 9%
Consumes Eggs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti