sgbrix

Default Stainless barrels ?

"Analogueman" > wrote in message news:<2RfVb.10390$QX4.6041@clgrps13>...
> Does anyone know of a source
> In Washington or British Columbia
> for two,
> open head (removable top),
> US55 gal,
> stainless steel drums/barrels?
> (For primaries and for bulk aging)

Coca-Cola receives many products in 55g s/s barrels with a rubber
snap-ring lids. When the plant was here I bought several of these
barrels for $35 each. They where usually sold to scrap metal places
that specialized in drums, or so I was told. The only problem with
them is that the bottom is not smooth around the inside edges and that
in there you could get a contamination. First I tried to fill the edge
with a weld, but after blowing holes in the side, I had mine cut clean
and welded new bottoms on them. Because the metal is so thin this was
no easy task.

If you feel new s/s tanks are too expensive, and you are close to milk
farming equipment, then here is what I would start looking. My primary
fermenters a 40g & 75gal s/s came from a dairy that went out of
business. You might not get a perfect vessel. There might be holes for
other applications. These can be welded up and ground clean. Just try
to get equipment that has a rounded edge.

But as some pointed out, you really should use oak barrels for ageing
unless the type of wine does not lend itself for this.

SG Brix-