Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair
Peter[_28_] Peter[_28_] is offline

Default What's a good automatic pasta maker that can be bought in America

On 11/13/2011 7:33 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 11/12/2011 10:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:59:41 -0800 (PST), deadgoose
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> You can get a pasta extruder and accessories that fit on the power
>>> takeoff of a Kitchen Aide mixer. Same as the hand crank, but no
>>> cranking.

>> KitchenAid has two models available. One is a roller type that works
>> very well. Similar to the Atlas machine, it makes wide sheets or cuts
>> them to narrow like linguini or fettuccini.
>>
>> They have an extruder model, but I've never used it or seen it other
>> than at a web site. KA makes generally good products though.
>>

> I have the KitchenAid extruder, but haven't used it since I bought a
> pasta roller. I much prefer the results from the roller.
>

>> Look for a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath& Beyond and buy it there.

Depends how automatic you want. If you already have a cuisinart food
processor such as the DLC-7, you can get the DLC-054 pasta attachment.
First you make the dough pellets in the food processor bowl, using the
blunt plastic dough blade that comes standard with the DLC-7. Then
remove the bowl, slip the pasta maker over the motor shaft, and feed the
dough pellets into the tray at the top of the pasta maker. There are
about 6 different extrusion discs that come with the pasta maker that
select which the pasta variety you make. The mechanism is analogous to
a screw drive meat grinder, but designed for pasta. It's not fully
automatic, but the added cost of the attachment is not much and it is
easy to use.