Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Turkey on America's Test Kitchen

This America's Test Kitchen episode presents a new way, for me at least, to
brine turkey, sort of a "Dry Brine", on today's America's Test Kitchen on
PBS. Watch it today on TV or on the internet. Here's the link to the recipe.
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...hp?docid=20850

You put your fingers under the skin and separate skin from the meat
throughout most of the turkey, all of the breast, and most of the thigh.
Then you rub the meat under the skin with Kosher salt. This is sort of a
"dry brine," as it accomplishes what you're trying to do with the usual
brine. The show's chef created a stuffing in the usual fashion with homemade
croutons, and stuffed it into the salted body cavity on top of cheesecloth,
That makes it easy to remove all the stuffing at the end of the baking.

I haven't baked a turkey with the stuffing in the bird for more than twenty
years. I always make the stuffing on the side with homemade turkey stock.
I'm going to stuff the turkey and see how it goes.

The turkey is roasted oppositely from my usual way. The turkey goes into the
oven at 325F breast side down until the breast reaches 130F. Then the oven
temp. is raised to 450F; the turkey turned to breast side up and is finished
off to a thigh temp. of 175F.

I have some concerns, including the salt pork on the skin, the baking powder
on the skin, and use of chicken stock any where in the dish. I always have
turkey stock on hand. The baking powder on chicken skin was a disaster for
us recently.

I'm going to roast a rehearsal turkey tomorrow and I'm going to try this.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Kent