Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Bjørn Steensrud Bjørn Steensrud is offline

Default Seasonal recipe

Cheri wrote:

> Yep, we haven't posted any recipes in here for a while now, just
> bickering...it's becoming like ASD, and all we need to complete the
> picture is ABC to join the newsgroup. I'll start by posting an old standby
> recipe that goes around from time to time. Don't know who started the
> recipe. There should be some really good holiday recipes out there this
> time of year. :-)

well - not a holiday recipe, but an old standby for an autumn dinner.
I leave the weight/measure conversion to the metrically challenged.

Serves 4:

1.2 kg beef, use a cut that can simmer for a long time to get tender.
About 1.5 liters water, 1 tsp salt

Cut meat in quite large pieces, cover with water in a pan, bring to a boil,
skim well if you want a clear broth, otherwise leave the extra protein in
the pot. Add the greens from a leek and let simmer for an hour and a half.

In the meantime cut 150 g cabbage in thin slices, dice 3 carrots and 100 g
celeriac and/or parsley root, and slice the rest of the leek.
Add vegetables to the pot, let simmer for 10 minutes,then strain off .5
liters (or use cube bouillon) to make a sauce.
Add vinegar, sweetener, salt and pepper to taste.

The usual procedure is now to remove the meat and some of the vegetables
from the soup, serve soup separately, followed by sliced meat and the rest
of the vegetables with the onion sauce.

Non-diabetics have potatoes along with this, I have a sweet potato or
fauxtatoes :-)

Last time I made this I had all the vegetables ready cut, forgot to tell the
wife that the chopped onion was for sauce - she put it in the soup and it
was delicious!