Old 29-10-2011, 08:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eat those Carbs! The ADA says you should!!

"Janet" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? They didn't say to eat
more carbs.

There is no need to be rude, Julie. My reading comprehension is just
fine. Perhaps if you think a bit more about the implications of what
was said you will get my point.

As far as quoting the ADA website is concerned, it's like the bible:
you can find something there to prove virtually anything you want.
It is obviously designed for maximum deniability. For the real
message, I suggest reading the page[s] where they talk about "tight
control." How they define it, and the degree of danger they ascribe
to it, and so forth.

It's not like the bible to me! To me the bible is merely a
meaningless book. I'm an atheist!

I don't need to reread anything. The OP said to eat *more* carbs. I'm
sure it didn't say that at all.

I don't "believe in" the bible in any religious way either, Julie. That
is not the point. The point is that, like the pronouncements of the ADA on
their website, it is frequently cited as an authority to support someone's
opinion. And because of the way it is written, you can find justification
for almost any course of action there if you wish. Ozgirl quoted from one
part of it--I assume that's where she got that text, anyway--and I
suggested that she go look at another part of it, which says something
quite different.

Since you insist on being literal minded to a degree that doesn't admit
the existence of metaphor or simile, I suggest you go back and reread my
posts. Then show me where I said "more." In fact, a simple glimpse at the
thread title will tell you that I used the word "those."

The article from Remedy, puporting to be from JHU, quotes various
authorities in stating that it is dangerous to go below 130 gms of carb
per day in the long term. I would venture to guess that would mean that
the vast majority of T2 diabetics who are controlling their HBA1C below 6
using diet, exercise, and perhaps metformin, would indeed have to eat
significantly more carbs to meet their recomendation. It certainly would
mean that for me.

But frankly, I think the ultimate goal of Remedy Health Systems and big
pharma and all of the medical industrial establishment is to make big $$.
And one of the best ways to do that is to push T2s on to expensive
medications. They aren't going to make big $$ if T2s control their BGs
without taking all of those expensive drugs that, according to studies,
perform no better than the cheap generic: metformin.

I didn't say you said it. I said the OP. Were you the OP? This has gone
on for so long now I can't remember who said what.