Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:26:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:05:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> > > We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around
> > > 2:00.
> > > Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.
> > >

> > That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays
> > and Sundays.

> I know, I just find it odd.

Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

I don't have early holiday dinners, because times have changed and I
don't like eating early.... however some people do. My DIL's family
does that, they're the early crowd. It works for me because my son
and DIL go to her family's party early in the day and make it to mine
as it starts.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.