Rick Vanderwal

Default raspberry wine advice

that I don't know...
I did check acid level....it's about 7.5
so I'll probably have to get some calcium carbonate...
but ph? I haven't done that before.
a ph meter? next time I go to my wine store, I'll have to look for one.
Unfortunately, I live an hour away from it.

what does adjusting ph involve?
Rick

"jmreiter" > wrote in message
> What is the pH?????
>
> Rick,
> let me give you one very serious piece of advice on raspberry wine; you
> ned to know the pH! Tartness does not necessarily come fom the TA of the
> fruit or the seeds. It's the pH of the fruit that accounts for the "pucker
> factor" of raspberry wine. If you don't have one, or the wife didn't buy

you
> one for Christmas, get thyself a pH meeter and take a reading ASAP!!!!!

You
> may have to correct for the pH so your lips don't pucker all the way to

the
> back of your head.
> Joanne
>
> "Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> > thanks everyone for your comments and your input.
> > I really appreciate them all!
> > I wish you all a very happy new year!
> >
> > Well, I went back and forth, back and forth....
> > pure juice wine, or dilute, pure, dilute, pure, dilute....
> >
> > I finally decided....I wanted more of the volume this year...
> > And see how it turns out.
> > Then, next year, I can do it differently, and just go with the pure

> juice...
> > I guess that's the beauty of it, as one of you said....
> > there's no perfect recipe, you can create your own, and try it in

> different
> > ways,
> >
> > So, I took the pure juice, and also the water in which the seeds and
> > leftover pulp had sat in for two days,
> > and ended up with about 3 gallons of juice.
> > I added one more gallon, to get four, and added sugar to get a reading

of
> > 1.090....
> > Added yeast nutrient, energizer, a bit of tannin, and....
> > now the yeast.
> >
> > So, now I wait...and see how it all goes.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > "Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> > > Tonight I just pressed two gallons of pure raspberry juice from the 18

> or
> > so
> > > pounds I had frozen from my bushes this summer.
> > >
> > > I've read a number of recipes...and I guess I'd like some advice as to

> > what
> > > to do....
> > >
> > > 1. Use the two gallons to make two gallons of really rich wine?
> > > 2. Dilute it to make a larger quanitity, but less acidic wine? And

> if
> > > so, how much water should I add for dilution? Could I add double the
> > > water, to bring the total to four gallons? or even five? But would

> that
> > > water it down too much?
> > > 3. Buy a can of Oregon pure seedless raspberry puree and add it to

> what
> > > have and bring the total to five gallons for lots of flavourful wine?
> > >
> > > I have the juice sitting in the garage in a closed bucket, so i'd love

> > > act on it quickly. The temperature is 40 degrees so it should hold

for