Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

On 11/10/2011 1:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:37:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> My faux gyro experiments have been better than some of my recent Gyros
>> experiences. I used to love those things but over the last few years I
>> have been disappointed so many times. I think the worst was a year or so
>> ago when my wife went by bicycle to an event in another city. I was
>> yearning for a gyros and knew there would be food kiosks that offered
>> them. When I got my gyros I was never so disappointed in my life. Then
>> last summer I went to the local Greek run greasy spoon and ordered a
>> gyros. Three thin strips of meat and a thick crumbly pita. It was a
>> major disappointment.

> They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
> old fashioned lamb (not ground).

Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
looking at the meat in my beef <?> sandwich from Arby's, but when I
read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

I have to confess that I would probably eat a lot more middle eastern
food from restaurants if they didn't have such a bad reputation for
public health problems..... *** in this area***. It seems that any time
there is a report in the local media about people getting infected it
has been a middle eastern place. It's a shame because I like the food. I
like the hospitality, I like the prices. After having had one dose of
food poisoning, I don't ever want to go through that again.