Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Stifel Joseph Stifel is offline

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:26:12 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
> wrote:
>

>>I think it should be batter diped not egged & bread crumbed or floured
>>and frying with lard is as important as the chicken gravy.
>>--

> What I ordered was battered and fried well, I just don't "get" chicken
> fried beef. I prefer chicken fried chicken and can hardly wait to get
> back to the restaurant where I had that delicious chicken & waffles.

Its comfort food for me. A childhood favourite that was only ever eaten
at a restaurant.

And those being more the "roadside dinner" sort of rural Oregon than
anything else.

While i think there is some thing to be said for the use of commercial,
instant, powdered or canned chicken gravy's with the steak, mashed
potatoes & green beans i do prefer a more home made gravy using real
schmaltz to make the gravy as well as lard to fry the steak. And the
seasoning of the batter is important also, i prefer it with a good
amount of both paprika and black pepper.

I use, primarily for convenience, shoulder of beef, i cut into thin
slices and than pound thin with a meat mallet.

In my experience the so called 'minute steaks" are not done to my
satisfaction in the minute it actually take to cook them.

A chicken fried steak should be very tender, fork tender, and a quick
cooking of the machine tenderized "minute steaks" do not achieve this
imo. Baking them, covered in the oven for another half hour or so after
frying them helps but i prefer to tenderize the slice of shoulder with
the meat mallet which then cooks up very tender.

Im also very fond of chicken breast cooked in a beef & red wine gravy.

But have yet to see it on a menu
--
JL