Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

On 10/10/2011 6:16 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> At first I couldn't think of dishes that were actually better in a
> restaurant, but now that I've thought a little, I think those things
> which require hard to acquire or store or install equipment. So,
> tandoori, since I don't have a tandoor oven. Although I make a
> delicious faux gyro, making it without the spit is a challenge.

My faux gyro experiments have been better than some of my recent Gyros
experiences. I used to love those things but over the last few years I
have been disappointed so many times. I think the worst was a year or so
ago when my wife went by bicycle to an event in another city. I was
yearning for a gyros and knew there would be food kiosks that offered
them. When I got my gyros I was never so disappointed in my life. Then
last summer I went to the local Greek run greasy spoon and ordered a
gyros. Three thin strips of meat and a thick crumbly pita. It was a
major disappointment.

Thank goodness I have since discovered a good middle eastern restaurant.
I learned from it that hummus can be really good. I have had their
kebabs. Maybe I should try a gyros there.