Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

>> I can't speak for risotto as it's not one of my favorites, however I
>> take issue with Bouillabaisse. I make my own fish stock and have
>> never had anything that comes close at a restaurant.

> I don't usually order what I make with any regularity at home either,
> but I would order bouillabaisse because I don't make it at home. Same
> with paella (although I haven't had a restaurant version that I like
> yet) and risotto... I love most of the restaurant versions I've had.

I was never much of a fish eater because my mother, who was a pretty
good cook, did not do fish well. Besides, we lived a long way from the
ocean and did not have the access to good fish that we have now. I
used to order fish in restaurants. Not fish and chips or fish sticks,
but whatever the fish or seafood choice was in nice restaurants. I
discovered all sorts of interesting ways to have fish and started
cooking it at home.

We don't go out for dinner as often as we used to, but I still tend to
have things that I don't get at home. For instance, my wife does not eat
potatoes, so when we go to one of the local restaurants I often have
Shepherds pie, and she has liver.