Posted to rec.food.cooking
M. JL Esq. M. JL Esq. is offline

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:19:45 -0700, "JL" wrote:
>

>>I don't eat at exotic restaurants, and i choose restaurants with menus i
>>can understand. Where i have some idea what i order is. Often times
>>ordering a "chicken fried steak" if its on the menu, but since moving to
>>California i have been so consistently disappointed i had to learn to
>>make it myself.

> I ordered chicken fried steak for the first time to see what that's
> all about. It was good, but it's not good enough to want to make it
> at home... or to even order it again, but my curiosity was satisfied.

Don't even get me started on "country fried steak"!!!

What i don't understand is why Oregon roadside dinners make such a good
version?

I think it should be batter diped not egged & bread crumbed or floured
and frying with lard is as important as the chicken gravy.
--
JL