Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kalmia Kalmia is offline

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

On Oct 10, 3:41*pm, Bob Terwilliger >
wrote:
> I've contended in the past that some foods are better when prepared at
> home than when you get them in a restaurant. Risotto is an example
> I've cited in particular, because restaurants take shortcuts which
> detract from the quality of the risotto. Paella is a similar story,
> and it pains me to note that many restaurants don't even bother to use
> anything *close* to the right kind of rice for paella, assuming that
> their customers are too ignorant to recognize the difference.
>
> On the other hand, bouillabaise would be better in a restaurant,
> because in order to make a "proper" bouillabaise you need to make
> enough for more than a dozen people. (Well, maybe it would be
> practical for Ranee to make at *her* home, but not for most of us.)
>
> Grilled steak is a tossup: If you're in charge of cooking your own
> steak, you can make it *exactly* the way you want it, but that's
> balanced by the fact that restaurants often can get a better quality
> of meat than what is available to consumers, and in many cases
> restaurants have equipment which can create a heating surface much
> hotter than what you can get at home.
>
> What do you think are other foods which are better at home? What is
> better to order in a restaurant?
>
> Bob

On the whole, I think that homemade by a decent cook tops most resto
fare. The only reason we eat out is because I'm tired and/or have not
the ingreeds I need for something and don't feel like shopping.
Besides, I've cooked thousands of meals and deserve a break.

Better to order in a resto: lobster Fisherman style and other
elaborate entrees.