Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

On 10/10/2011 5:48 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>> For me both taste excellent. The reason is that I very rarely order
>> at a restaurant what I make at home. I'm very fastidious and am
>> nearly always disappointed if I order something that I can cook
>> myself.
>>
>> I can't speak for risotto as it's not one of my favorites, however I
>> take issue with Bouillabaisse. I make my own fish stock and have
>> never had anything that comes close at a restaurant.

> I don't usually order what I make with any regularity at home either,
> but I would order bouillabaisse because I don't make it at home. Same
> with paella (although I haven't had a restaurant version that I like
> yet) and risotto... I love most of the restaurant versions I've had.

I've generally found that a lot of Middle Eastern and Indian broiled
foods taste better at restaurants than when I make them; kebabs and
tandoori food are examples. The rice they serve is usually better than
mine too.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*