Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Patty Melt

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 00:41:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> >> your
> >> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> >> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
> >> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> >> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did
> >> not.

> > Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
> > melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
> > bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
> > be an abomination.

> That's what I thought. I have since looked up recipes. Although the cheese
> varies and sometimes even the bread, I have seen none with Thousand Island
> on it.

I have a feeling that some idea guy likes Rubens and saw McDonald's
had success with their secret sauce and thought - why not put thousand
island on a patty melt. You made me look at Denny's menu last night
and I made the sad discovery that they don't have their patty melts
listed anymore. Apparently, individual restaurants can serve them off
menu if they want to keep the ingredients around (for their "older
customers").

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.