View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Bdx, Bojo, Burgs, and wines that don't start with B on Bday

On Oct 3, 8:17*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Saturday was* a bit hectic with work and social issues, but lots of fun.. We scrambled through the day, made a quick appearance at a friend's 50th, and then home for my birthday party, with 3 couples joining us (5 old friends, and 1 new beau of an old friend).
>
> We greet folks with the NV Pinon Touraine Brut Rose. Strawberry delight,.hint of bitter herbs and chalk, nice. B+
>
> The fried shrimp wontons were matched by the 2007 Huet "Le Mont" Vouvray Sec. Decanted about an hour before serving, showing nicely. Full and fruity, wax and wooly. A-
>
> First sitdown course was a pumpkin gratin, with I matched with the 2008 Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc. Lovely clean Chardonnay, apples,.citrus and chalk. B+
>
> Main course was braised short ribs, potatoes,* and roasted kale. I had chosen a few wines, didn't open a couple as one guest brought a Cab "for the table." Not usually my preferred method,but friendship is more important than wine geekery.
>
> 2009 Joel Gott "815" Cabernet Sauvignon
> Lush, fruity, low acid. Not my style but others liked. C+/B-
>
> 1978 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
> Always a solid performer, cassis and red plum overlaid with tobacco and damp earth. A-
>
> 2007 Foillard "Cuvee 3.14" Morgon
> Marc had missed our gamay-fest night before, so I brought this out for him,. Structured, elegant, lively. A-
>
> 1979 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin
> A clear longshot. Thin, funky, and a trifle nasty when opened. Sat in bottle for about 3 hours, got better, though with the sweet/candied over dead leaves thing one gets in too old *PN. Some acids, no tannins, falls apart after 10 -15 minutes in glass. D on opening, B-/C+ with time and a gentle pour.
>
> Annabelle had brought an assortment of sweets and fruit, plus I had some "live" cheeses (tributes to Gruyere and Tomme de Savoie, plus a bloomy rind). We revisited wines, plus the* 2002 JJ Christoffel* Urzigner Wurzgarten Riesling* Auslese **. Orange blossoms, apricot, with some citrus fruit underneath. Sweetness balanced by good acidity, nice length. B+
>
> Fun night with friends.
>
> Sunday Betsy made sea scallops over brussels sprout leaves and some cinnamon sugar pumpkin, I opened a 375 of the 2007 Hugel "Gentil" Gewurztraminer.. Fairly classic version of dry Gewurz, lychee, herbs, and ginger. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I keep getting served Joel Gott bottlings including the Cabernet and
Zindafandel, I think because they are inexpensive. I can't warm up to
them, just too overblown for my taste.