Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread prices redux

On 9/29/2011 6:38 AM, Nad wrote:
> > wrote:
>> our thomasas go on sale for a dollar a package evry so often at meijer,
>> regular are about three dollars, when we had freezer space we stocked up as
>> we both love english muffins, Lee
>> > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I just Googled and we have an Orowheat outlet about 6 miles away.
>>> Good thought. Their bread is not bad at all and I love their English
>>> muffins.
>>>
>>> Funny, when they first started making them they cost much less than
>>> Thomas's. Now the latter is on sale most of the time for 2/$5 and
>>> the Orowheat are $3.49 a pkg. Probably worth the trip if I have freezer
>>> space.
>>>
>>> gloria p

> Hmmm...
>
> A food preserving forum talking about "buying" and freezing bread?
> Do we not make our own bread? But make our own Jams and Juices?
>
> Why not just buy a fifty pound container of wheat berries? Wheat berries
> in containers will last for YEARS. Get a grinder and over time it will pay
> for itself and Really have some of the best tasting bread ever at a lower
> cost than those stale past due date bread discount stores.

And I do make my own bread on occasion. There are more important things
to do around here than to continuously make bread. Grind my own wheat,
nope, see previous sentence. I preserve what I want to eat that we like
and the descendants like. Bread is to cheap to spend time making for the
little bit that we eat. To each his own.

Oh yeah, freezing things you buy is also food preserving. Like meat,
veggies, bread, desserts etc.