Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Bread prices redux

George Shirley wrote:
> Went to the used bread store this morning, same bread that was #$3.39 a
> loaf at Kroger was $1.39 a loaf there. Bought two loaves of Nature's Own
> Honey Seven Grain and then they gave me two more loaves as a bonus.
> That's cut the price down to 69.5 cents per loaf. Guess where I'm buying
> bread from now on and the place is only about three blocks from the
> house on the main drag in our town.

The Hostess thrift store here charges almost full price for used bread.
They used to have good deals before Interstate Bakeries went bankrupt
in 2004. When they came back they jacked the prices way up at the
outlet stores. I can get better fresh bread cheaper at Cub Foods and
Aldi. (both are cheaper than Walmart except for the really awful squishy
white bread.)

I can bake a 2 pound loaf of sourdough bread for just a few cents. At
least last time I bought a 25# bag of flour at Sam's it didn't cost
hardly anything -- but that was over a year ago.

-Bob