Greg Cook

Default how to make a good flavorfull sweet fruit wine

On 12/10/03 1:55 PM, in article bTKBb.301422$Dw6.1004351@attbi_s02,
"Stephen" > wrote:

> I have 3 fruit wines making and I want to know the best way to make it
> flavorfull and sweet with a good kick. Is the best method to feed the yeast
> with a 1/2 cup sugar and rack every 3 to 4 weeks (or is it when the meter
> gets to .990), or run it to dry use potasium sorbate and sweeten wait ten
> day and bottle?

I suppose that depends on how balanced you want your wine. The feeding
method will produce a wine with significantly high alcohol (15% or higher).
That may be ok if it tastes balanced with the residual sugar and acid - but
I would expect it to be a bit more port-like than wine-like in that respect.
Personally, I would opt for fermenting to 11-12% alcohol (dry), stabilizing
with sorbate and bisulfite and then sweetening to taste. I suspect you will
find a more balanced product in the end.

> My next question is what is the best method for finning, chemical or
> filtering?

Do you mean getting it clear? Or adjusting some other property of the wine
(taste, color, etc)?

I would not use any fining materials unless the wine has bulk aged and been
racked when necessary for at least 6 months. Then, it depends on what
specific problem is causing your haziness. Pectin, protein, etc. will each
need something different to fine with.

You cannot filter a cloudy wine. It will not go through a filter. You should
only filter a wine that already looks completely clear. Thus, it is not an
option for the clearing process.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine